Saturday, December 15, 2012

About 20 or more years ago, I lived on a farm, in a 300 year old house with wide pine board floors, and rough plaster walls, and views to die for.  To go to work every day, I had to come down out of the hills, past other farms, to a lake/reservoir, and drive alongside that for quite awhile, enjoying the swans who were always there.  I finally came into a tiny little village, with a stopsign in the middle, a old wood-sided general store.  To the left was a lake a few miles down the road.  To the right was the Interstate, another few miles away.  It was a lovely peaceful place, and I looked at homes there to buy.  I taught kindergarten for a couple of years just two towns away, then worked for a large corporation in the nearest city.  

That lovely little village was Sandy Hook, a section of Newtown CT.  Newtown was a pretty and picturesque town with a wide main street, one grocery store and a handful  of  sweet specialty shops.
Every day I drove through those streets.  Yesterday my heart broke for the people of Sandy Hook.  If ever there seemed a safe place in this crazy, broken, sinful world, that would surely be high on the list.  Evil doesn't pay attention to such things, I have found out. 

My heart, thoughts and prayers are with that small community which is reeling in grief today, surely planning funerals for children whose little caskets will be haunting and starkly horrifying by their tiny size.  There is a family who lost mother and at least one son...the Lanza family.  I am heartbroken for them, as well, for those left behind to bear the grief and the perceived shame, although I doubt there was anything they could have done, and no way they could grasped the impending doom hovering over them when they woke up on Friday morning. 

I hesitate to let my girl out of my sight.  I cannot fathom the pain of losing her, although having lost a 6 year old niece to a violent murder, I DO know, I suppose, to some extent.  I know all over this world parents are holding their children closer, and speaking words of love into their lives, now more than ever.  It shouldn't take this kind of act to do that...but in our busy lives, sometimes we are oblivious to the important things right in front of our noses.  

Sandy Hook/Newtown....I grieve with you all.  May our Heavenly Father hold each one tightly in His arms, may you feel His love, may we all be the hands and feet of Jesus to these precious people.

Blessings from CT....Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment