Tuesday, February 2, 2010

New Experiences

So, it's been a LOOOONG time since I posted. But I've been BUSY! Very busy...um, well...busy sleeping, for the most part! So here's the details...fun times!

During the second week of Jan., I began to not feel well. Couldn't put my finger on it, but I just didn't feel well. Over the Martin Luther King 3 day weekend, I did nothing but sleep and moan. I had pain in my stomach, and even a sip of water caused major stabbing pains. By Sunday night, I had a fever, chills, sweats...miserable.

So I had my brother drive me to my Dr.'s on Monday. That alone tells you how bad off I was...to ask someone to drive me, to not be Ms. Independence. I tell you, I was one miserable puppy!!
They took me in, and within minutes, said they needed me to go to the ER Clinic 10 minutes away, so they could do a cat scan, and also get me rehydrated with IV fluids. So off we went, and I had my brother just drop me off, knowing I would be there for awhile.

I got hooked up to an IV, got a cat scan, and the verdict: massive infection of my colon, and I was going to go on my first ambulance ride to the hospital! WOOHOO! It might have been interesting, except for the fact that every bump in the road killed my stomach!

First time in a hospital! Such fun. I was immediately hooked up to an IV pump, that ran continuously for 3 days...between the saline, the pain meds, and the IV antibiotics, it was a busy little machine! I named him Patrick. He became my close buddy! On Thursday I was finally unhooked, and they actually let me begin to eat. Hospital food IS all it's cracked up to be....really, really awful. Not nice.

SO...I came home Thursday night, having kept lunch down, which apparently was a benchmark. However, that was one of the LAST meals I would keep down for awhile. I had THOUGHT I would be back to work on the following Monday...yeah, RIGHT! On Monday I went back to my regular Dr., for a followup. He just rolled his eyes and wrote me a release to work for yesterday. And as it is, it still took it out of me to work yesterday. And I am not doing my noon time run this week, to give myself time to rest in between the morning and pm runs. But I AM eating again, albeit I am being VERY careful WHAT I eat. I will have to be careful for the rest of my life, as things with nuts and seeds can be very painful. And trust me, I do NOT want to do this EVER again. It was NOT fun. Not. one. little. bit.

ShaoXi was a dynamite nurse and help during all this. I missed her dreadfully while in the hospital. The first night she slept downstairs at my mom's. But after that, my brother slept upstairs, so she could be in her own house. That helped alot. So...we are doing fine. We survived it all, and God has provided for us, financially, so that I was able to pay Feb. rent with no problem. Our church handed me $100 in grocery cards, so we are good until I get paid again..which won't be until NEXT Friday! And then we have a week of winter vacation, so no pay again. sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment