Monday, June 7, 2010

Memorial Box Monday...my daughter HAS to dance!


When we sold our house in 2006, I knew I would HAVE to find a new ballet school for ShaoXi. And I admit, I was worried about that. I KNEW New Haven Ballet was a really good school, but our old school had us there on full scholarship for years, and now what would happen? I was driving past their studio and saw a sign for a free registration/placement class. I noted the date and we showed up there that day. I had sent an email to the office a few days before, but that was at the NH office, and this was their satellite studio in Guilford.
I took her in and went up to the desk where 3 ladies were standing. I said something like, "Hi, I sent an email to the office this past week, but maybe you don't know about it. The thing is, I have NO money, am not working, and we just moved here from Waterbury. But my daughter HAS to dance." I told them I had inquired about scholarship possibilities, etc, in my email. They smiled, said no they hadn't been informed of my email, but why doesn't Shao come in and dance, and then we would talk? Okay...so I sit down in the waiting room, and she goes off with them down the hall.
45 min. later all the little girls and the teachers come out, and the head teacher comes to me and says "I'll be BACK!" She proceeds to go to every other parent in the room, telling them where she felt their child should be placed, etc. After they are all done and gone, she comes back to me, plops down on the coffee table in front of me and says, "Your daughter HAS to dance!" I smiled and said "Yes, I told you that!" Miss Diana said that ALL parents/mothers come in saying that, and it is as it should be...they think their little one is very special. But my girl? Oh, she IS special...and one of the ways is at Ballet. She takes my breath away, honestly. And so, this fall we will begin our fourth year at NH Ballet. And we are so very, very thankful for their support of ShaoXi. Some day, when she is a famous ballerina, we will be able to say "It is because of schools like Waterbury's CT Academy of Performing Arts, and the New Haven Ballet!"
Blessings...Nancy

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't just say that "when she is a famous ballerina, we will be able to say "it is because of schools like Waterbury'sCT academy of performing arts"... I think you should say it is because we serve a mighty God...don't you think? Give credit where credit is due. Only God orchestrated that.

    Sandy MacPherson (I don't have a blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how God placed the right people in the right place to provide for ShaoXi!! He is so faithful!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing :) Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. I saw your link at Linny's. What a lovely post. I'm sitting here crying uncontrollably because, my daughter has to DANCE too! I just posted my daughter dancing this morning on my blog. She was injured during a performance this Friday. She finished barely holding back the tears, then danced two more shows, she could barely walk but she could dance. I prayed so hard to God to hold her up during the next shows so she wouldn't injure herself any further. And He did!

    Your daughter is beautiful!

    My daughter is about to turn 13 and dances at Festival Ballet in Providence RI, I bet they would be fast friends.
    Just thought I'd share that with you, from one ballet mama to another.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me again! I read a few of your posts and saw ShaoXi was going to camp, I was curious to know where. OMGoodness it's NUTMEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So a BIG congratulations to ShaoXi!!!! Have a wonderful time!!! What an incredible opportunity!

    We rely solely on scholarships too so I know exactly where you're coming from. Somehow God always makes it happen.

    ReplyDelete