Sunday, May 30, 2010

Heroes

My daddy passed away a few years ago at the age of 87. I loved him so very much, and will always miss him. He wasn't perfect. In fact, by a lot a standards, he was SOOO far from perfect. But he was my hero, for a lot of reasons. Every little girl looks up to her daddy as a hero, just by reason of him being big and strong. If he is a halfway decent Dad, then he is also loving and protective. For some reason, I was extra attached to my Dad. When I was a kid, I would spend hours in his workshop with him, handing him tools. I couldn't talk much, because he had lots of numbers and measurements in his head, and talk would make him forget. It didn't matter. I was with my daddy. And life was good.

One of the BIG reasons I saw him as a hero is because he WAS. Daddy was a platoon leader in the Army, and on D-Day, he led his platoon off the boat, through the waves, and onto the beaches of Normandy. My daddy was a hero. This weekend we celebrate Memorial Day. And I have special reasons to remember, and to be thankful. Thank you to ALL who serve this amazing country we live in, the United States of America. To all who keep it safe, both on the homefront and overseas. Please know you all have my heartfelt gratitude!

Blessings...Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment