Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Good Friends are hard to come by!

So, this past weekend I caught up with a whole bunch of friends, including my BFF from college, and her husband. And it got me to thinking. Friends...truly GOOD friends are not an easy commodity to come by. In the past I have had friends that I truly loved, and enjoyed spending time with...and yet, there are certainly some that I would NEVER think of going to when things got tough. They wouldn't care enough...or know what to say...or do.

Good friends care. They are there for you no matter what. They will listen patiently and sweetly while you repeat the same story over again. They love you. They will put their arms around you and give you a hug just when you need it most. They GET IT. They know you, and understand where you are coming from. They may not "come from" the same place themselves, but it doesn't matter. They are willing to let you be you, and be different from them, and still be your friends. They love you, as you are. Acceptance...that's the basis of all true friendships.

And in pondering this, I began to realize how very diverse my friends are. They come from all walks of life, from all kinds of different backgrounds, and jobs, and ages. But each is dear to me, and I could not do without a single one of them.

I have my "cat" friends. These are either people who I got to know back in the day when I was breeding and showing Himalayan cats. OR they are just people I have met since who love cats. But they are a loyal bunch, and now that we are truly friends, the cats are just incidental to our relationship. In fact, one of my dearest "cat" friends no longer HAS a cat...nor do I! Sadly, my last elderly Himmy had to be put to sleep last November. It broke my heart, because I knew I couldn't replace her. My landlady allowed me to bring the two old ladies with us, even though she does not allow pets. But the deal was, when they were gone, they could not be replaced. Sadly, a little less than a year after moving here, they are both gone. We have a fish. He's a very nice fish, but not very cuddly. He doesn't purr, nor play, but we like him anyways.

Then there's my college friends. My dear, dear buddies...my pack, my posse. I graduated 25 years ago, but these people are precious to me. They know me, and HAVE known me, for a long time. They appreciate me, and I them. We are there for one another, even if we are separated by the miles. It's just how it is.

And my adoption buddies. First, my Hunan family, the 8 other families I traveled with to China, to adopt our precious daughters. They are family in every sense of the word. Even if some of them have gotten "lost", and I no longer have contact....they are still family. I still love them, and especially those girls, very much. I told them all when we finished our journey, that I "owned" a tiny part of each of those babies, and they definitely had a piece of mine. There are a couple of families we stay in close contact with, and OH, I am SO glad we do! We couldn't do without them. In fact, I am the appointed guardian to two precious little girls, should the unthinkable happen to their parents. What a honor, and what a trust. One that I take seriously, and with great pride. Love you, M family!

And there are other adoption friends. It is amazing to me how many friends you make in the world of adoption. Especially if you make it a point to involve yourself and your child in her ethnic heritage as much as is possible, or as much as is right for your family. ShaoXi is immensely proud of being Chinese, as well as American. She said to me, when she was about six, "Mama, I am 100% Chinese and 100% American!" And you know, I think that says it all! I think she was absolutely right on! So I have many friends who have walked this journey, as well. And I treasure them. It is good to have folks who have traveled the same road, in their own way. We are of immeasurable help to one another.

And my "bloggy" friends. It baffles, amazes, amuses, and thrills me that I count people I have never actually met as dear friends! And some of them I HAVE met. And some I hope to meet sometime in the future. And some I will never meet this side of heaven. But nevertheless, they are precious to me, as well. In some ways I "see" them more often than the others, as they are right here, at my fingertips! :)

SO....today, treasure your friends. Tell someone you love them and are thankful for them.
I am thankful for all of you!

Blessings...Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment